Apple on Sunday announced its 2014 World AIDS Day campaign that will see the company donate a portion of its holiday retail sales, as well as proceeds from a special section of the App Store called “Apps for (RED),” to the (RED) foundation’s Global Fund to fight AIDS.
It appears today’s (GarageBand)RED update was the first of many, as Apple later unveiled Apps for (RED), a collaboration with top developers to offer exclusive in-app purchases in recognition of World AIDS Day.
Every time a for-pay Apps for (RED) title is purchased — or when an in-app purchase is conducted through participating apps — from Monday, Nov. 24 through Sunday, Dec. 7, all proceeds will go to (RED)’s fund.
The campaign is scheduled to coincide with World AIDS Day, which falls on Monday, Dec. 1.
“Apple is a proud supporter of (RED) because we believe the gift of life is the most important gift anyone can give,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook. “For eight years, our customers have been helping fight AIDS in Africa by funding life-saving treatments which are having a profoundly positive impact. This year we are launching our biggest fundraising push yet with the participation of Apple’s retail and online stores, and some of the brightest minds in the App Store are lending their talents to the effort as well.”
In addition to apps, Apple plans to donate to the Global Fund to fight AIDS a portion of retail and online store sales generated over the two biggest shopping days of the year. For Black Friday, coming up on Nov. 28, Apple is handing out special (PRODUCT)RED iTunes Gift Cards with select purchases made in the U.S. Each card represents an additional donation to the fund. The following Monday, coined Cyber Monday for sales offered by e-commerce websites, Apple will donate a portion of all brick-and-mortar and online Apple Store sales to (RED).
“Apple isn’t just in the fight to end AIDS. They are setting a new bar for business, giving $75 million and counting to the Global Fund as part of their partnership with (RED),” said (RED) cofounder Bono. “I couldn’t be prouder to work with them.”
Full list of apps participating in Apple’s Apps for (RED) campaign, all of which feature red icons to commemorate the event
- Angry Birds players can perfect their bird-flinging with (RED)’s Mighty Feathers and challenge themselves to a bonus golden egg level.
- Bubble Witch 2 Saga offers new (PRODUCT)RED levels across all 17 episodes of the game. Gold bar currency purchases will be donated to (RED).
- CSR Racing delivers new in-game thrills with the highly anticipated Mercedes Benz-AMG GT.
- Clash of Clans warriors can prepare for battle with special edition (PRODUCT)RED gems and display a (RED) badge of honor on the village’s town hall.
- Clear’s users can perfect their organizational skills with a new (PRODUCT)RED theme which appears automatically with all new downloads.
- Cut the Rope 2 unveils a wide selection of (PRODUCT)RED items including a new red hat, red touch print, red balloons and a red ginger cookie.
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush reveals a new Lifeguard minion that helps players boost their banana collection skills by 200 percent.
- DJay 2’s spin tables turn (RED) and offer DJs a special sound pack.
- FarmVille 2: Country Escape players can “Roll out the RED Carpet” and purchase limited-time items such as the Cozy Cow, St. Bernard and more.
- FIFA 15 Ultimate Team players can compete in a (RED) Tournament and Team of the Week event. All winners will be awarded football superstar and (RED) Ambassador Rafa Marquez.
- Frozen Free Fall unveils a magical new (RED) Challenge in the Kingdom of Arendelle, and offers an exclusive combined offer of 1 power-up, 1 snowball and 3 lives.
- GarageBand users can now purchase an exclusive collection of 300 guitar, bass, synth and drum loops to create even more amazing music.
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’s aspiring celebrity players can treat themselves to (PRODUCT)RED items including (BEATS)RED Solo2 headphones. Kris Jenner, the first family member to join Kim’s in-app world, will make her in-game debut on December 1.
- Heads Up! competition heats up with an exclusive new deck featuring (RED) words.
- The Human Body debuts the Immune System feature, educating users on how the body fights pathogens. The accompanying handbook features a new section on HIV/AIDS.
- Kitchen Stories Cookbook will offer a special-edition holiday recipe pack, featuring dishes from renowned chefs Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, Luke Holden and Michael Lomonaco.
- Monument Valley offers a whole new chapter of Ida’s Journey, marking the final new feature of the game.
- Over customers have access to a wide selection of (PRODUCT)RED fonts and inspiring artwork, specially created by six artists. Users can share photos with the (RED) brackets overlay to help spread awareness.
- Paper by FiftyThree enthusiasts can enjoy a new (PRODUCT)RED Essentials Pack including Sketch, Outline, Write, Color and Mixer tools.
- Puzzle & Dragons players have exclusive access to the new (PRODUCT)RED magic stone.
- Rayman Fiesta Run introduces a new (RED) edition to their wacky Fiesta world, and players can purchase a pack of three new costumes for Rayman, Globox and Teensy characters.
- Star Walk 2 users can learn more about Mars with the comprehensive new RED Planet feature.
- Sims FreePlay features a special community challenge that unlocks various rewards, and players can purchase limited-edition (PRODUCT)RED items such as a swimming pool, party plane and piñata.
- Threes! turns (RED) with a limited-edition (PRODUCT)RED theme.
- Toca Boca paints Toca Town (RED)! Kids can discover new (RED) diamonds, sample (RED) ice cream in the app and look for other surprises throughout the game.
The Apps for (RED) initiative will run from Monday, Nov. 24 through Sunday, Dec. 7. More information about Apple’s World AIDS day campaign can be found at the company’s website.